Monday, July 23, 2012

Off the grid

Hey there world wide web! Long time no blog! We have been relaxing in Pennsylvania since July 5 and by relaxing I mean living our normal, crazy life in someone elses house. We are heading up to Connecticut at the end of this week to visit with some of Martin's family and we are also having Jake's baptism up there next Sunday before we drive back home to OH. This has been our longest stay back east since we moved out to OH about 9 years ago. It was so nice seeing so many friends and family over the course of 3 weeks and not having to squeeze in a quick coffee or setting up shop someplace for a night and asking everyone to come to us just so we could get to see our friends. Its also nice to still have so many close friends here.

We had pretty good luck while we were here, healthwise. Well, until yesterday. Drew woke up yesterday coughing pretty good. It was a very dry, tight cough. He also had a small fever. I gave him some tylenol and did a couple of extra treatments, but around 4pm the fever went up and the puking began. And it didn't stop until around 4pm this afternoon. There was lots of crying and sweating and coughing and whining and not eating and puking and laundry being done. He was sleeping periodically here and there but never for long. Around 4am this morning, I finally emailed his doctor. We aren't sure what the puking was about, but she called in a prescription for a steroid because he just sounded so tight to me. Usually the coughs are very wet and junky when he has an infection, and the lack of that sound kept us from putting him on an antibiotic. The extra inflammation could be from anything and right now we are assuming a virus. After about 24hrs, the puking finally stopped, the fever broke, and the poor boy got some color back. He pooped too, which is good because I was mildly concerned that the puking could be because he was blocking up, but after he had something to eat, he pooped and he seems like hes coming around. The coughing isn't much better. As I type, he's up in bed coughing away. I will probably try another breathing treatment before I go to bed, just so that he can get a good night sleep. I hate all of these random sicknesses and infections out of the blue. He was fine two days ago, and this afternoon I was on the fence about taking him down to Philadelphia Children's. Hopefully we get better overnight and get over this and can deal with whatever is going on when we get back to OH. Fingers crossed.

I'm totally exhausted. I wish I had more time to write some things on here. Hopefully when we get back home and things settle down I can give some updates on the work I'm doing at Children's and with the CF Foundation. Happy summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment