Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I'm holding on

Just when you think you have a handle on things...

All has been well in the Moore household for 2+ weeks. Ella started coughing a bit this weekend so I figured she was just getting another cold which would inevitably wreak havoc on the entire house within a few days. Drew had a CF appointment yesterday (well check and all went very well!) but I couldn't take Ella there with me if she wasn't feeling well for a couple of reasons. First, I know enough to know that you don't bring a girl with a cold to a doctor where there will be other kids, like Drew, who could get very sick if they caught that very same cold. Second, flu season hospital restrictions are in place and siblings aren't allowed in the hospital unless the are older than 14. So with a few morning hours to figure out what I was going to do with Ella, I packed up a sleeping back, the DVD player and a few toys and dropped her off at work with Martin. She wasn't acting like herself, just kind of moping around and coughing a bit. She was there for about 3 hours while I was at the doctor with Drew and Lily. I picked her back up and all 3 kids zonked out in the car. I got me some Starbucks and drove us around for an hour + until someone woke up, and we made it home. It was a LONG day.

We got inside around 4pm (had left the house just after 11am, and prior to that spent the morning preparing to leave the house). Ella was still not herself - very whiny & cranky. She was crying about every little thing. I picked her up to give her a hug and she was burning up. I took her temp and it was 104.2!!! Holy crap that's high! I called the pediatrician and they wanted to see her. Seriously? We literally just walked in the door. So we packed back up and headed out to the pediatrician. The waiting room is filled with sick kids. I have a mask on Drew and Lily is screaming in the stroller because she wanted to get out and play, but I wasn't about to let her go crawling around on the floor at the pediatrician at 5pm after a long day of sick visits. Martin met me there just after 6 and took the starving babies home. They had missed lunch since we were at Drew's doc, (don't worry, i gave them extra large bottles), but they couldn't miss dinner to. Ella and I finally saw the doctor at 6:50. She was tired, I was tired, and he told us he thinks shes got the flu. He said there are a few strains of flu going around that weren't captured by the flu vaccine (fantastic!) and that all he saw all day with kids with the flu. (flashback to lunch yesterday when Ella stuck her lollipop in my mouth when she didn't want it anymore. or when she sneezed on Drew and commented on how she got him wet.) This is going to be a fun week. He thought she might also have strept because her throat was so red so we got the test and we're waiting to hear back on those results. The good news is that tylenol seems to break the fever and improve her mood. The babies (knock on wood) are currently exhibiting no signs of being sick. We'll see how this shakes out.

In other news, a year and a half after we finished our kitchen remodel we finally got around to putting up our backsplash. Its not quite finished yet. We still have a few tricky corners to work around and then have to grout, but what is done looks nice. We went with 3x6 inch white subway tile, but put it up vertically vs. the normal horizontal way. I love the way subway tile looks, but I was looking for something a little more modern than the standard layout. I think we achieved the desired look.

I'm officially launching our Great Strides Campaign on Feb.1. All of the details will be on here, on FB, in your email and your mailboxes. I'm warning you now, you will be bombarded. I'm hoping for something big this year. There is so so much that can benefit from funds raised through the Great Strides walk - number 1 being Drew. I hope everyone reading this can help :)

I read a quote online today that I liked quite a bit: When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on. FDR said it. I'm holding on.

No comments:

Post a Comment